Team Up staff and representatives from partner organisations in Fiji, Papua New Guinea and Vanuatu will be travelling to Expo 2020 Dubai in March 2022 to deliver a week of women’s sport activities in partnership with the Australian Pavilion.
Expo 2020 Dubai is the latest edition of World Expo, a global event that happens every five years with rotating host nations. Expo takes place in a large precinct where countries from around the world present a pavilion showcasing their nation to international visitors. Expo 2020 Dubai was initially scheduled for that year but was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic and is currently running until March 31, 2022.
Centred around International Women’s Day on Tuesday 8 March 2022, Team Up and its partners are organising and participating in several activities at Expo 2020 Dubai including:
- A women in sport forum, co-hosted by UN Women and the Australian Government, featuring sessions on various topics related to women in sport globally including; sport for development programs that benefit women and girls (perspectives from several Team Up programs in the Pacific); hosting major women’s sports events and legacy opportunities (perspectives from an international federation, governments and an NGO); and supporting women leaders in sport (Pacific and global perspectives).
- Sports activities for Expo visitors on International Women’s Day inspired by Team Up-supported programs in Fiji, Papua New Guinea and Vanuatu.
- A conversations-style event celebrating Pacific sportswomen who work on Team Up-supported programs, exploring their lives as athletes, administrators and change-makers and the impact of sport on gender equality.
- A screening of the multi-award-winning documentary Power Meri about the Papua New Guinea women’s rugby league team, and a Q&A with one of its stars.
- A sports journalism workshop for students at the University of Wollongong in Dubai.
Follow Team Up and the Australian Pavilion on Facebook for coverage of these events as they happen from Monday 7 March 2022 onwards.
Article adapted from the Team Up website.