FIBA U16 Asian Championships cancelled
The FIBA U16 Asian Championship 2019 in Beirut, Lebanon, from April 5 to 12, 2020, has been cancelled. Furthermore, the FIBA U16 Women’s Asian Championship 2019 in Canberra, Australia, from April 5 to 10, 2020, has also been cancelled.
National Federation Development
Due to COVID-19 disrupting sporting events and quarantine measures implemented throughout the world, FIBA Oceania has organized various basketball webinars to continue the development of National Federation members and keep the communication lines open.
Below are the workshops administered in April 2020 that featured over 500 participants from 21 National Federations:
FIBA Oceania Webinars for April 2020
- Facilitator Workshop by Peter Topp
- Offensive Spacing Principles by Kaleb Sclater
- 3×3 Referee Modules by Vanessa Devlin
- Screen & Roll by Brent Tipton
- Referee Communication by Jillian Harris
- Building Fundamentals by Gail Macfarlane
- Conflict Resolution for Referees by Albert Joseph
- Training methods by Claudia Brassard
- Basketball For Good workshop by Peter Topp
- 5 on 5 Referee Webinar by John Rearden
- 5 on 5 Referee Webinar by Nicolas Fernandes (French)
FIBA Oceania Webinars for May 2020
Score Table Course
- Introduction to Score Table by Michelle Nicholas
- ‘Basics How to Guide’ on Scoresheets by Michelle Nicholas
- Basic Statistics Definition by Trish Nicholls
- Downloading and Uploading Game using FIBA Live stats by Trish Nicholls
Youth Coaching Course
- Introduction Youth Coaching by Darren Perry
- Teaching by Peter Lonergan
- Body Movement & Ball Control by Caleb Harrison
- Individual Skill by Gail Macfarlane
- Tournament Coaching Course
Tournament Coaching Course
- Building your plan by Lori Chizik
- Selection (Part 1): Talent ID and Stakeholder by Zoe Carr
- Selection (Part 2): Conducting the Trials and Selecting a Team by Mel Downer
Celebrating International Day of Sport For Development and Peace
FIBA joined the #WhiteCardCampaign to send a message of solidarity in these challenging times and asked several National Federation members on how basketball has encouraged the development and peace in their communities.
Social Media Challenge
The basketball community rallied together with the #BasketballAtHome and #BasketballNeverStops campaign to promote physical and active lifestyle during the quarantine period. Several national players from different countries joined the campaign to provide home workouts for the their fans.
For the latest news and updates you can visit FIBA Oceania here.